I'm Off on an Adventure

Overseas and away I go! This blog follows my final year in high school which then continues onto my year away to Germany and on the biggest adventure I'd ever have ✌

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Kassel

Germany, you are beautiful. Kassel was absolutely no exception to that rule.

So onWednesday the 27th of August, myself, my host mother Gaby (at that time) and her granddaughter Karla headed down to Kassel to visit Gaby's daughter and her family. Upon arrival I met Hannah and Ellen, Gaby's other granddaughters and Marcel, her son-in-law. We ate a lovely lunch and then headed for the Schloss Garden's.



I must say the gardens surrounding the castle itself were actually so beautiful but the real treasure only happens every Wednesday and Sunday at a certain time during the Spring and Summer. After a 45 minute trek up the hill using the many dirt paths we arrived to the top where the statue of Hercules rest atop a building. Now at said time on these days a massive amount of water is released and travels down the hill, over waterfalls and down streams until it gets to the bottom where the natural pressure pushes it into a huge fountain and it is amazing. 


 The Hercules resting on his club.

 The 100's of people gathered to see the waterfall.
 The waterfall.
 One of the many waterfalls that you could see come to life.
 The Devil's Bridge.
And finally the main fountain. 

Now the water took about 40 minutes from the get go to travel to the base and final fountain. It really is remarkable the the park itself was built by man but the gradual pressure built up from the natural downwards forces is enough to make a fountain that reaches about 25-30 meters in the air.

So that was the park and then we went home played in the backyard and then ate one magnificent dinner cooked by Marcel. This dinner was one beauty of a steak, chips and cooks pears. And my Lord was it delicious, not only did I eat my own steak but the rest (3/4) of Karla's and extra sides. Coupled with Australian Sauces and overall one of the best meals ever.
 Gaby and the Sauces

And finally the STEAK and pears.

We only stayed the one night and the following morning I went into town the the girls and they did some shopping and anyone who knows how I am will know that I just browsed and walked. No shopping was done by me that day. The drive home Gaby took me by the river instead of the Autobahn and the scenery was spectacular.

No comments: